Nomination Period For 2019 Design For Recycling Award Now Open
Dec 05, 2018 09:48AM
By Kathleen Maris
The Institute of Scrap Recycling Industries (ISRI), the Voice of the Recycling Industry, is now accepting entries for the 2019 Design for Recycling (DFR) Award. The DFR Award is ISRI’s highest award given annually to the most outstanding contribution to products designed with recycling in mind. It recognizes proactive steps made by manufacturers who have actively incorporated DFR principles into products and processes.
“The Design for Recycling Award recognizes companies, designers, and manufacturers that, as part of their culture, produce products that can be recycled both safely and efficiently,” said Robin Wiener, president of ISRI. “Manufacturers and brands have a significant role in promoting recycling. Data shows that people are more likely to recycle if a product is easy to do so. Those that design with recycling in mind from the beginning can have a much higher impact on increasing recycling rates. This award showcases those that are ahead of the curve.”
ISRI inaugurated the award more than 10 years ago. Previous winners include Cascades Fine Papers Group, Coca-Cola Recycling Company, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, LG Electronics, Samsung Electronics, EcoStrate SFS, and this year’s winner, Dell Inc. (the first two-time winner).
To be eligible for ISRI’s Design for Recycling Award, a product must be designed/redesigned and manufactured to:
- Contain the maximum amount of materials that are recyclable,
- Be easily recycled through current or newly designed recycling processes and procedures,
- Be cost-effective to recycle, whereby the cost to recycle does not exceed the value of its recycled materials,
- Be free of hazardous materials that are not recyclable or impede the recycling process,
- Minimize the time and cost involved to recycle the product,
- Reduce the use of raw materials by including recycled materials and/or components, and
- Have a net gain in the overall recyclability of the product while reducing the overall negative impact on the environment.
Interested parties can enter online before the February 1, 2019 deadline. Applicants will be notified by March 4, 2019. The winner will be officially recognized at the ISRI 2019 Convention and Exposition to be held April 8-11 in Los Angeles.